In order to qualify for a concession on rates:

  • Applicants must be responsible for the payment of rates on the property which is their principal place of residence.
  • Applicants must be eligible and residing at their principal place of residence on the due date for the first quarter's rates.
State Government Concessions

You may be eligible for council rates concession (and water and effluent charges, where applicable) if:
  • You are a pensioner and have a current Pensioner Concession Card or Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA) Gold Card (TPI, EDA, WW) or receive a Centrelink Allowance. Apply through the Department for Communities and Social Inclusion (DCSI) Concessions Hotline - 1800 307 758 or at using the on-line form.
  • You are a low income wage earner who meets the DCSI low income threshold. Apply through the DCSI Concessions Hotline - 1800 307 758.
  • You are a Self Funded Retiree who holds a State Seniors Card. Apply through the DCSI Concessions Hotline - 1800 307 758.

For more information visit

Postponement of rates - seniors

Ratepayers who hold a State Seniors Card (or who are eligible to hold a State Seniors Card and have applied for one) are able to apply to Council to postpone payment of rates on their principal place of residence.  Postponed rates remain as a charge on the land and are not required to be repaid until the property is sold or disposed of.

Ratepayers who believe they are entitled to a concession should not withhold payment of rates pending assessment of an application by the State Government as penalties apply to overdue rates.

Decrease font size Reset font size Increase font size
PO Box 167 | Scotland Place
Balaklava SA 5461