Wakefield Regional Council

Roadside vegetation

Print Page
Can I collect firewood from the side of the road?

Any activity on Council roadsides is risky and there are strict conditions around roadside vegetation – including dead wood, which may be considered native vegetation.

The Local Government Act, Native Vegetation Act and other pieces of legislation guide how Councils manage their own vegetation roadside activities and requests from the community to take or change vegetation.

We have what is known as a Section 221 permit. It’s available on our website and relates to any activity to ‘alter a public road’ in line with Section 221 of the Local Government Act, so would need to be completed, submitted and approved before the wood could be collected. The various conditions are listed on the back of the permit.

The Department of Environment, Water & Natural Resources has some interesting information about collecting wood for personal use. You can also see there are strict rules guiding Councils too.